Monday, April 16, 2007

Turgeon hired a second assistant, Scott Spinelli. Considering Spinelli "lives to recruit ­ he loves everything about recruiting and is really good at it", I am very glad he is on our side.

Turgeon met with, and convinced all but one of our recruits to honor their commitment to Texas A&M. 4 out of 5 isn't bad, epically when the one that go away is a JUCO player from Moscow, and not a top-10 player from Houston.

Here is what the guys had to say about Turgoen...

Holmes
I had a great visit with Coach Turgeon and I think he will be a good fit for me. I'm looking forward to being a part of great things at A&M next season.
Jordan
I didn't know much about Coach Turgeon before I met him. I liked what he was talking about and where he is taking the program. That convinced me.
Lewis
I am looking forward to going to Texas A&M next year. After meeting Coach Turgeon, I decided to stay with A&M. I talked to him for a while and decided he was a pretty cool guy.
Walkup (I am pretty sure this is an old quote)
I've wanted to play at A&M and win a national championship there, so that's what I plan to do. We want to come in next year and build on what the guys before us have done.

With Victor going elsewhere, we have one open scholarship. When Gillispie came in he had a few open spots, so he signed three guys: Slade Weishuhn, Edjuan Green, and Dom-Kirk. 2 of these guys didn't work out (Edjuan had a few games where he looked good, but Slade was pretty much always hurt) and 1 guy has started every game and pretty took over in the dance this year. I don't know who might fill that spot, but when Turgeon says "Now we can focus on recruiting our next class" I am led to believe he has no one in mind.

No comments: