Saturday, April 7, 2007

Gillispie SAID he would not try to lure any of his four signees to UK. Apparently "that's not the honorable way to do it." I personally don't believe a word this guys says, but that is a tough statement to back out of. He went on to say "I'm sure they'll all honor their National Letter of Intent." Here is a list of all of the recruits and what their reaction was...

B.J. Holmes: Following Rick Barnes's recipe for success, we went after a point guard whose first name had the second initial "J", and it looks like we still have him. Fellow recruit Nathan Walkup talked to him and said, "B.J. sounded really confident he'd stay at A&M".

Nathan Walkup: Nathan is defiantly staying. In fact he is trying to rally the troops, "
I'm trying to get B.J. and DeAndre to not even consider leaving... along with Derrek Lewis".

Derrek Lewis: This is the only incoming freshman not from Houston. His reaction to Billy-G leaving was,
"Right now I have no clue. It's something I'm going to have sit down and talk about with my parents. We'll then decide what I'm going to do." This guy was also recruited by Tulsa, a school that is MUCH closer to home.

Victor Dubovitsky
: No word on this JC guy from
Moscow, Russia.

DeAndre Jordan: And the top guy of the class, his status unknown.
Josh Cater texted him after Billy ditched us, but DeAndre didn't indicated what he would do.

The status of most of these guys is depends on the quality of coach $Bill can bring in.

[UPDATE] This quote is old, but I missed it. DeAndre Jordan
was asked BEFORE Billy left what he would do and he said, "If he did leave, I probably would have left and went with him. I would have just looked at all my options." And Derik Lewis's dad said that "We were going to Texas A&M because of coach Gillispie. The coaches that are still there, we have a good rapport with them. A lot of what happens will depend on what Bill Byrne does and who ends up there."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any more clue as to who they will be looking at and when they will be making a decision?

r said...

I have no inside information yet, but there is a large amount of support for Jamie Dixon. The feeling (in both Pitt and TAMU forums) is that if we throw some good money his way he will come. In his 1st coaching search, Bill Byrne emphasised Texas roots. Jamie Dixon played at TCU, which is pretty weak. Tim Floyd was an assistant at UTEP for a number of years and a lot of people think he is #1 on $Bill's list. A guy that no one is really talking about is Alvin Brooks, an assistant under Gillispie at A&M. Brooks has been our main recruiter and would like to be considered for the job. Wow that was a long reply, I think I will make it a main post.