Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I need to stop watching sports more often. I leave for the weekend and both the men and women take care of business. As the anonymous poster indicated...
Softball in the world series
baseball will have to beat rice to make the cws.
The women advanced to the world series after winning their super regional in three games, 2-0 2-3 2-0. Game two brought back bad memories of past seasons when the Gators hit a walk-off home run. But Jo knew that "no one was going to come onto our field, in our house, and beat us twice." After giving up the game winning homer, Amanda Scarborough came back to pitch her 10th shutout of the year and advance us to the world series. This is our first appearance in 19 years. (Note: Does anyone understand how pitching stats work in softball? Scarborough got all three decisions (2W 1L), even though she only pitched two innings in game two and came in with the game tied. I guess someone has to get the loss.) We will face the original UT in the world series on Thursday in Oklahoma City.

I listened to the first game of the Big-12 tournament and we lost. Thankfully by the next time we played I was miles from television and the Internet. Coach and the boys felt they had something to prove after game one, and man did they prove it. We went on the clobber our opponents. The four game skid ended with a 7-3 W over Texas. We did a similar job (7-2) on K-State and won the conference tournament by "pummeling" Baylor 14-6.

The conference tournament title guaranteed a regional in College Station, but watching the selection show on ESPN "was exciting" for the team. I can't judge I was excited to watch Titanic. We will host Louisiana-Lafayette, Ohio State and Le Moyne in the College Station Regional this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to see the baseball team come back and win the tourney...speaking of how things work...how did they win and tu had the same record...won on runs??? tried to read the explanation on-line...best I came up with...but I'll take the title...looks like not all that tough of a reginol...woh the heck is LeMoyne anyway...good luck to the Lady Ags!!!

r said...

You are a better man (person?) than me, I didn't even look up the tie-breaker rules. My guess is that we both had the best record in our pool, and the tie breaker is the winner of the head-to-head match up. If Texas lost to Nebraska, then Nebraska would have gone to the final game since they owned the tie breaker against us. I am a bigger fan of brackets than pool play, except for when pool play means we are not eliminated in the first game and go on to win the conference tournament.

I don't know anything about LeMoyne either, but Childress knows, "They're the Dolphins, from Syracuse, N.Y. And they won their tournament, and they are a very good team, and I know they were in Arkansas' Regional a couple of years ago. And, Manhattan won [the MAAC] conference tournament a year ago and went to the Lincoln Regional and ended up upsetting Nebraska in Game 2 of that tournament."